4 Reasons Why My Health Records Are Better Than Paper Records
Auditing results of a medical organization state there are more disadvantages in continuous use of paper-based records and concluded that electronic health records are the right solution for the future. The modern world requires a modern solution. Digital files give a lot of advantages like security, accessibility, cloud storage, audit trail, and backup.
My Health Records is an opportunity created by the doctors and it provides medical information in a click. It contains demographic information, histories, test and laboratory results, current health conditions, insurance information, and other healthcare data. All these data help a patient to be more aware of his/her situation and takes necessary steps in determining appropriate care.
- A paper record is easily exposed, letting anyone see it, transcribe details, make a copy or even scan or fax the information to a third party. In contrast, electronic records can be protected with robust encryption methods to keep crucial patient information secure from prying eyes.
- Paper records are weak in protecting files and sharing them with a third party is so easy with today’s technology. We use the same technology to protect information from illegal usage. Additionally, data is encrypted end-to-end and follows HIPAA and privacy regulations. My Health Records gives default security protection to its users.
- Paper-based records can be compared to an open-loop because the information is vulnerable to anybody and the patient doesn’t even know about it. My Health Records can precisely control patient information with entry login and each entry is noted for transparency.
- The electronic version makes it more convenient to share. Reports are sent to a specialist instantly to discuss more a patient case than courier or delivery services. Cloud technology is providing the best service for doctors to carry files anywhere on the planet.
- Storing patient records is very important and that too providing security to it is a must. Privacy regulations are strict and it can levy huge penalties on organizations, in case of data mishandling and loss. Healthcare must backup everything in the cloud and offline – this creates a secondary backup in times of natural disasters.
- Criminal hackers show a keen interest in mining medical data and look for a small opening to enter the database. Two-step verifications are enabled to avoid the hacking situation and software companies every fortnight install security patches to make it hard for illegal entries.
Audit trails are a no foolproof method for covering the mistakes and give transparent evidence to a user to file a complaint in case of any suspicious activities. It is important who explore patient’s charts, and what modifications they made to the records.
With My Health Records, patients and doctors more opportunities to improve medical conditions and sunshine solutions are brought to a patient case. No ransomware attack can remove patient data as IT teams can upload backup data and normalize the operations. It increases staff efficiency and reduced errors to increase the trust factor among its customers.
Read More at 75health