4 Security Features of My Health Records to Protect Medical Data
Data breach is a common concern of people while using many online services. Without any authorization, cybercriminals are sharing health records for some evil purpose. This kind of breach causes more damage to the reputation of the organization and life of the consumers are put at risk. Patients using advanced software like My Health Records are storing sensitive health information in a trusted and secured environment.
Healthcare technologies are ensuring patients that their information is safe with proper security patches and protected by anonymization and encryption models. My Health Record Software assists a patient to store, view, and add new information in a safe place and it gives an option of sharing information with your doctors and clinics. Even information about family members and friends can also be added to this software once they approve.
1) Much medical software is available today, select the right one can be more fruitful in numerous ways. Check whether the software follows the guidelines of HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).
2) This Act has the power to maintain secured health records of people, and organizations, and other agencies that access the information for different legal purposes.
3) Following are the basic features provided by HIPAA for people using electronic health records
v See medical information whenever they require
v Updating personal and policies details
v Raise compliant for duplicate bills and mismatched errors
v Approval before sharing data to other clinics for case discussion
Audit trails are a feature of My Health Record to record information like who made the respective change. It documents who, when, and where a change occurred. The software sends instant notifications to patients when information is altered
This is an obvious one where all digital files are secured with a lock and only its user has the access to open them. Strong protection guidance (alpha-numeric and special characters) must be adapted; this eliminates the risk of a weak password. Security maintenance is ensured with options like limited wrong password attempts, password reset cycle, OTP, etc.
Digital Risk Assessments
· Performing regular risk assessment cycle helps healthcare organizations to find potential threats they have such as security patch update, weak passwords, and other vulnerable holes for cyberattacks.
· Backups can create data inventory and ensures all resources are secured with appropriate encryption levels.
· All payment gates must be checked regularly with third-party companies to find flaws in the security system and do healthcare organizations have supporting hardware and software required for standard security. My Health Record has many more security features to protect medical data and constant updates are made to match the new tools. This gives confidence to patients to use software safely and recommends others to maintain records electronically.
Read More at 75health