How E-Prescribing Software Is Benefiting Community Pharmacies
The fact of the healthcare electronic system is that it provides easiness to patients and medical professionals. How E-Prescribing Software is benefitting community pharmacies as it stores and accesses all the list of dispensed medications. In comparison to manual inventories, e-prescribing software helps the pharmacist to determine the quality and quantity of medicines inventory in a short period.
E-Prescribing Software has the ability to save money while improving the quality of patient safety. When pharmacies use E-prescribing Software with FDS, cost savings is the number one feature. Pharmacy owner can lose their potential time by checking incorrect orders and examining few incomplete medication details.
- The importance of improved patient safety cannot be oversimplified. In the United States, an estimated 1.5 million adverse drug effects occur per year, costing the country $3.5 million in healthcare costs. In written prescriptions, there is inappropriate or unavailable medication, dosage type/ dosage, unclear information, duplicate therapies, and misinterpretation of illegible handwriting.
- Medical experts failing to recognize food allergies and drug-to-drug interactions can increase the risk of drug effects. A notable feature of E-Prescribing Software is point-of-care decision support. It alerts the doctors to see possible drug errors before sending the prescription.
- Until zero error is reached, E-Prescribing Software continuously prompts the physician to check for allergies, double-check dose consistency and drug-drug interactions, and lastly gives access to generate a prescription.
- Several studies were conducted and found that the effects of point-of-care decision support software have helped many patients to save a lot of money. For one year, the total cost spent for 26,674 written prescriptions written was higher than subscribing E-Prescribing Software.
- The cost savings is happening because of notifications that have suggested the doctors with alternative solutions of cost-effective treatments, high-cost drugs, and optimizing dosage level of current medication, and then prescription can be transmitted.
The health information system includes E-Prescribing Software as an important resource for the insurance claiming process. The generation and filling of a medical prescription can be done with this software than opting for conventional methods of faxed and written prescriptions.
With continuous progress in technology development, it is expected that problems with traditional pen and paper prescriptions can be resolved so, healthcare providers and pharmacists. When small clinical centers start utilizing E-Prescribing Software, pharmacy workflow can be improved, prescribing errors can be reducing, and all this ultimately enhances patient safety.
Read More at 75health