How E-Prescription Software can Prevent Drug Errors
Advanced engineering in the healthcare industry has created more inventions to refine the existing medical process and to add more value to patients. E-Prescription Software is an electronic medical chart that contains what problems the patient had, what substance gave them relief from it, and which specialist has attended the case before.
Medical professionals are expertise in different fields but remembering each patient and exactly what event occurred last time they visited the hospital is not possible. Doctors deal with hundreds of treatments and medicines every day so each name and allergy condition cannot be remembered. Having a digital assistance on the computer device will be so helpful to readily see the allergy information and drug history of the patient completely.
Instant Dosage and Information
- Within a single click, E-Prescription Software can give the prescription history, substance quantity, and duration. While prescribing medicines, it has a feature to alert doctors regarding sensitive data of patient. Data contains allergic medicine, drug interaction, and no overlapping of two treatments at the same time.
- A pharmacist can misinterpret the meaning of a written prescription because of different handwriting styles. Confusion can happen in the dosage level, for example, opium tincture and camphorated tincture of opium seem to be the same and treats the same problem but the morphine level extremely differs from one another. High intake of morphine than the required level could put death in place for the patient, this way both pharmacists and prescribers hold risk. E-Prescription Software avoids this kind of error by sending exact medicine names and dosage levels to any reachable pharmacy.
Pharmacy Utilization Review
E-Prescription Software has an inbuilt feature of pharmacy utilization review as helps the clinicians to reduce drug-disease contraindications and avoid improper dosage.
- Therapeutic duplication is a common error that can happen with patients who are treated in the intensive care unit. The recipient was prescribed to take two different medicines at the same time and results in treatment failure or adverse effects.
- Drug interaction problems can be resolved by having the exact food behavior of a patient. It creates a serious issue when a substance can collapse the entire treatment.
- It has 3 different types: drug-drug interactions, drug-food interactions, and drug-disease interactions. Pop-up alert reduces the change of complete medication, treatment and doctors can understand patients.
- PUR has the ability to compare the approaches of particular doctors with other similar experts to find whose process is recovering more patients quickly and helps to find performance analysis of prescription.
The Institute of Medicine estimates that by using E-prescription Software, medication errors are reduced from 42.5% to 6.6% for every 100 prescriptions and prevent the fatal rate of medication errors due to misinterpretation.
Read More at 75health